"One of these" versus "Either of these"

Subject: "One of these" versus "Either of these"
From: "Michael West" <mwest -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 18:12:27 +1000

Folks,

I thought you might be able to give me some input on a question relating to
the wording of instructions in a software user guide.

I'm thinking about the difference between "Do one of the following" and "Do
either of the following" when used to introduce two optional actions.

They are very close in meaning, but when I read "Do one of the following", I
get the idea that there MIGHT be different results from the two options,
whereas "Do either of the following" suggests to me that the two options will
have the same result.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Michael West
Editor, Technical Publications