RE: A Question for Newbies and Intermediate Writers

Subject: RE: A Question for Newbies and Intermediate Writers
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Sheldon Kohn'" <Sheldon -dot- Kohn -at- onlineinsight -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:12:29 -0400

Sheldon, these are my suggestions based on my experiences in getting up to
speed quickly:

Review any and all existing information regarding the system architecture,
process models, business requirements, specifications, and believe it or
not, contracts with the clients (it's nice to know in advance what's been
promised).

If there is an existing version of the product, spend as much time as
possible using it, breaking it, and questioning it. Work with any QA staff
to reviewing reported defects and requested enhancements.

Work with business analysts, program/product managers, lead developers, and
other SMEs to develop functional and design specifications.

Knowing what the current product does and doesn't do, what the new stuff
should do, and what's been promised has been invaluable in planning and
writing the doc in some semblance of a realistic schedule.

HTH

Connie Giordano