RE: How do you figure version numbers?

Subject: RE: How do you figure version numbers?
From: "Hodge, Lisa" <LHodge -at- NaviSite -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 08:27:36 -0400

The method used at my previous company worked very well because it allowed
readers to easily identify if a document was officially released or still in
development. It was a combo of numbers and letters that worked like this:

When a writer started drafting a new document, it was Rev. A. As changes
were made and new drafts were released for review, the document went through
revs B, C, D, etc. Once it was officially approved (everyone had signed off
in blood), it became Rev. 1 and was published.

If/when changes became necessary, Rev. 1 was updated to be Rev. 1a. As it
was going around for review and other edits were made, the document went
through Rev. 1a, Rev. 1b, Rev. 1c, etc. (Note that during this time,
everyone continued to use Rev. 1 to work from, as it was the only
"officially" approved document.) When Rev. 1x would be signed off, it became
Rev. 2.

On the documents themselves, the revision was always printed in the footer
as an extension of the document number...so some samples might be
800-4123-01-RA, 800-4123-01-R03, 800-4123-01-R02c, etc.

As part of our preparedness for ISO9001 certification (yes, we passed!), the
entire company was trained on the doc control numbering system, and knew
that they should never use a revision of a document that ended in an alpha
character to build, test, inspect, or service the product (unless the
product was in an alpha or beta testing phase). One other good idea...when
a document was in development, we ALWAYS used a "Draft" watermark in the
background of the page, since docs-in-development were often known to
"magically appear" in the customers' hands...and the customer didn't know
about the numbering scheme.

Hope this helps!

Lisa Hodge
Mgr, Tech Pubs