RE: How do you figure version numbers?

Subject: RE: How do you figure version numbers?
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "'scott -at- soffront -dot- com'" <scott -at- soffront -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 08:25:17 -0400

On Thursday, April 20, 2000 1:30 PM, scott -at- soffront -dot- com
[SMTP:scott -at- soffront -dot- com] wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to create a numbering scheme for document revisions. Currently
> start at 1 and working my way up (2, 3, 4, etc.). I have had a suggestion
> to make my revision number match the software version I am writing for,
> however, I have had two revisions for one software version release (so
that
> doesn't work).
> Any suggestions on how you or your company figures revision numbers?
> Thanks!
> Scott

You really should consider keeping the revision number of your
documentation closely tied to the software. After all, your documentation
supports the software and not vice-versa. You can easily do this by using a
date notation to suffix the program version. Or, you could even just rely
on a print date on the cover or some other easily identifiable place.

Software Ver. 1.0
Manual Ver. 1.0 4/21/00

It would be easy to ask a person what the date is on their manual. Provide
an updated version if necessary. What it amounts to is that a user is not
going to care much about what version of the manual they have. It is really
irrelevant. What they want are answers to their questions. Version numbers
for manuals is something that is for our benefit in managing and
maintaining our documentation. Don't confuse the poor user with ambiguous
numbers.

Tom Johnson
Technical Writer - Elk Rapids Engineering

johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com