Re: A Question for Newbies and Intermediate Writers

Subject: Re: A Question for Newbies and Intermediate Writers
From: Sheldon Kohn <Sheldon -dot- Kohn -at- onlineinsight -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:50:47 -0400

Hello All,

Many people sent messages asking for details about what material I prepared
for the new person, so here goes:

* Printed copies of style guide and tools and templates
* Printed copies of existing documentation
* Printed background material on company, product, competitors, and
market
* Wrote schedule for first two weeks, divided into morning and
afternoon
* Wrote list of initial and recurring deliverables: goals, time
requirements, and subject matter
* Wrote list of executive priorities for our Information Development
function
* Wrote summary of key people in the company and what types of
projects we are likely to have for each one

This is in addition to all the standard things like getting equipment,
phones, and arranging for email.

One interesting result of all of this is that I have developed a clear sense
of what I want the new writer to do and how I can help her get up to speed
efficiently. As one person wrote, I need to provide the boat and the oars.

Thanks again to all who responded. Please feel free to contact me about this
topic for further discussion.

Sheldon Kohn
Online Insight, Inc.

"Car Dieu le Roy du ciel le veult, et cela est revele par la Pucelle." --
Jehanne