Writing Samples...

Subject: Writing Samples...
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 07:38:01 -0700 (PDT)

[Bridget O'Connor asks:]
I'm a technical recruiter working with a client
company who requires that I submit a writing
sample from a candidate at the same time I submit

the candidate's resume. Every now and then
however I run into a candidate
who insists they can't provide a sample because
the companies they worked for had made them sign
contracts not to reveal proprietary information.
Obviously, this situation makes it very difficult

for a potential employer to evaluate a
candidate's writing achievements.
My question is this: Is there any way for these
candidates to provide a writing sample without
violating their contracts? Do
any of you have any background with this issue
that you could share with me? What I'm hoping
for is either something that I can tell
candidates to alleviate their fears of violating
a contract OR something I can tell my client
regarding why they can't expect all candidates to

comply with their request for a sample.
[end original post]

In general, proprietary means proprietary.
Occasionally a company will agree (upon the writer's
request) to let a fraction of the material to be
released, but the agreement technically has to be met.

As for me, my writing samples go with me to the
interview and come home with me when the interview's
over. Surely an hour is plenty of time to determine a
person's writing skills. Otherwise the reviewer is
getting into the meat of the content, which is not
necessary. Writing validation and subject matter
validation are two different things.

http://invites.yahoo.com