Re: Writing Samples...

Subject: Re: Writing Samples...
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: "Bridget O'Connor" <bkoadmin -at- bkoenterprises -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:41:58 -0400

At 07:51 PM 4/20/00 -0400, Bridget O'Connor wrote:

<SNIP>

My question is this: Is there any way for these candidates to provide a
writing sample without violating their contracts? I was told by a writer a
couple of years ago that he had done some research on the subject and that as
long as the samples were used solely for demonstrating his writing skills, he
was within his rights to do so. He never quoted any legal statutes that were
the foundation for his conclusion however so I don't have anything concrete
to tell a potential candidate who is in this situation. Do any of you have
any background with this issue that you could share with me? What I'm hoping
for is either something that I can tell candidates to alleviate their fears
of violating a contract OR something I can tell my client regarding why they
can't expect all candidates to comply with their request for a sample.
Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me.

I've been freelancing for 8 years. Most of what I write is proprietary; yes, I sign all sorts of secrecy agreements.

That writer who told you that he is allowed to show samples, even though he has signed secrecy agreements, is completely out to lunch. If caught, he could (and should!) be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

That's the point of secrecy agreements. You can't flash the stuff around. Period.

I take it one step further, to make sure I have covered myself: unless I have express, written permission to show a particular piece, I don't show it.

In cases like this, I have asked for limited rights, and have received them from some but not all of my clients. I can BRING some specific samples to an interview. I CANNOT leave them behind. No copies are to be made. They do not leave my sight.

After all, look at it from the client's perspective, too. If I show you stuff I did for someone else, what's to stop me from showing stuff I do for you to the next guy down the block?

If a potential client can't understand and accept those limitations, I do not want to work for that client.

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer

http://www.wordsplus.net