Re: FWD: Purchasing software as an independent contractor

Subject: Re: FWD: Purchasing software as an independent contractor
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:55:02 -0400

At 12:59 PM 4/24/00 -0600, anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com wrote:

I am new to independent consulting and have a question for all the
telecommuting independent contractors out there. Do you purchase all the
software you need to complete projects for clients, or does the client
provide some or all of it for you? If you do purchase the software
yourself, do you take this into consideration when you give your hourly
rates? Any info you can provide on how you handle this situation is
greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I purchase most of my own software. I have a wide variety loaded on my laptop, and even more on my desktop. No, I don't roll the price of software into my hourly rate. I do, however, roll my expertise in said software into the rate! <grin> Seriously, clients are not responsible for keeping me competitive -- I am.

When a client needs me to use a particular application that I don't own, I have three choices:

1) Bite the bullet and purchase it myself. Did this for FrameMaker a couple of years ago, because I figured I'd use it again. Lost that contract, still have yet to use Frame on any contract. Oh, well.

2) Use the application on the client's PC. I have occasionally made arrangements to work onsite when I need the specialty application.

3) Ask to borrow a copy based on their site license. Did this for a client that was converting from WP5.1 to Word6. I didn't own WP, and had no intention of buying it. I borrowed a licensed copy from the client, and returned it at the end of the contract.

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer

http://www.wordsplus.net