how to represent math formulae in html?

Subject: how to represent math formulae in html?
From: "Elizabeth Troell" <etroell -at- arksys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:56:53 -0500

I am posting the following question for an associate. Please respond to me
off list and I will forward suggestions on to him. I'll also post a summary
to the list.

TIA.

Beth Troell
Technical Writer
etroell -at- arksys -dot- com
____________________
I was wondering if you know of any good tools for presenting
mathematical formulae in HTML documents.

The problem I have run into is finding an easy way to present
mathematics in HTML documents. I have tried several approaches, including
MATHML (using WEBEQ and TechExplorer plugins), using TeX to typeset
mathematics formulas and then making gifs of the images, making pdf files
from LaTeX files, using WORD's equation editor, and using scientific
notebook--a program that does a pretty good job of typesetting mathematics
and has some browsing capability. There are advantages and disadvantages
to everything that I have tried, but I am not completely happy with any of
them. They all pose peculiar difficulties....