Re: The Write/Right Stuff ? Perhaps...

Subject: Re: The Write/Right Stuff ? Perhaps...
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Jan Stanley <janstanley -at- earthlink -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:24:39 -0700 (PDT)

Imaging you are proposing software to a VERY big customer...one
where companies jump through hoops.

BigCompany said..."Guys...I'd like to deploy your software at
20,000 of my branches, but before I do, I'd like the following
feature programmed in."

You go to your developer: "Can you do this?"

He says "yeah, I domn't understand why, but we'll do it for
him."

You go back to customer and say "OK'

He says "Here's my millions of dollars. Thanks."

Infact, alot of software goes by the term co-branded", when a
version is written for a specific customer.

--- Jan Stanley <janstanley -at- earthlink -dot- net> wrote:
> Sandra asked, "Does anyone else have experience with features
> that are specifically requested by customers, but rarely used
> once a purchase is made?"
>
> Oh, yes. The product I documented a few years ago was full of
> such features. Although all the features were available to
> all
> customers, most were used only by the customers that had
> requested them; many were no longer used even by those
> customers.
> Made for a mighty confusing product. Some of these features
> were
> so old or obscure that when I asked a developer, a trainer,
> and a
> second-level support person what a feature did, I'd get three
> different answers. I can only hope that one or two of the
> features enhanced *someone's* efficiency.

=====
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

http://invites.yahoo.com