RE: Dreamweaver guide

Subject: RE: Dreamweaver guide
From: Tom Eagles <teagles -at- DERIVION -dot- com>
To: "'Lee Tesdell'" <ltesdell -at- eai -dot- com>, "Tech Writing List (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:33:39 -0400

Lee Tesdell [mailto:ltesdell -at- eai -dot- com] wrote:

> I am planning to buy a Dreamweaver guide (for both MAC and
> Windows) in the next few days. Can anyone on the list offer advice on
which
> one is best?

> Dreamweaver 3 Bible by Joseph W. Lowery
> Dreamweaver 3 for Dummies
> Dreamweaver 3 Hands-On Training by Lynda Weinman

I would look for the "Visual Quickstart Guide for Dreamweaver" (and the
"Visual Quickstart Guide for Fireworks," if you bought the Studio version -
a good idea). They are just what the title infers, and provide enough detail
to give the user an understanding of all of the primary features of the
product. If you are looking for a book that will tell you how to do just
about anything that they app is capable of, I'd go with the "Dreamweaver 3
Bible." IMHO, the "Bible" and "Dummies" series are great look-up references,
but not good for those who need to learn an application from scratch. The
"Dummies" series generally have a top 10 section at the back that provides
insight into features that are not commonly (or well) documented elsewhere.
It all depends on what you want the book for. Look-up reference? Tutorial? I
noticed with Dreamweaver 2 that the online tutorial (on the Dreamweaver CD)
really sucks, so a book like Visual Quickstart is probably a good idea if
that is in fact your need.

I'm not familiar with the last one by Lynda Weinman, but I see her name in a
lot of places, so that's *probably* a good indication that she does good
work (I said *probably*). Good luck.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Tom Eagles,
Documentation Manager