Re: The Quick and the Bad

Subject: Re: The Quick and the Bad
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:38:02 -0400

At 11:17 AM 4/27/00 -0500, Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com wrote:

>Okay - here is my bitch. On what divine tablet is it written that anything
done
>quickly is inherently shoddy?

Nowhere. But speed is easy, it's quality that's hard. That's why there are
so many more fast companies than good ones.

"We don't have the time the develop good products" is a myth. Anyone who
says that is at best, deluded. What's really being said is "We don't want
to make the effort to do both." The easy way to gain speed is to cut
corners. It's far harder to exercise the discipline necessary to get it
right the first time.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away...

(Ooops. Sorry. Wrong list.)

Anyway, many years ago I worked in an engineering company that was just starting to implement a formal Quality System. There ensued many debates about what constituted quality. These debates usually involved much pounding of tables and tearing of hair.

But I will never forget the graphic that somebody sketched on the white board at one point:

Picture an equilateral triangle. This is the Quality triangle. On the points, write "Fastest", "Best", "Cheapest".

Where in the triangle does your current project fall? Where in the triangle does your client/customer WANT it to fall?

Quality is when your location in that triangle matches your client's expectations.

Win

Win Day
Technical Writer

http://www.wordsplus.net