Acrobat Catalog Questions

Subject: Acrobat Catalog Questions
From: Kent Newton <KNewton -at- mke -dot- catalystwms -dot- com>
To: Techwr-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 11:49:26 -0500

Hello, all.

We're having a problem with Acrobat Catalog 3.0 and have a few questions.
I've searched everywhere (the techwr-l archives, Adobe's website, various
PDF-related web sites) and haven't been able to find an adequate response to
our questions. I'm hoping someone on the list can answer my questions or
point me in the right direction.

The Problem
=========
We maintain a user library consisting of 159 PDF files that were generated
using FrameMaker 5.5.6 on a Windows 95 platform. All the files use
descriptive long filenames (i.e., they use the document title). We
generated an index using Adobe Catalog 3.0, also on the Windows 95 platform.
When we tested the index on the network and on local PCs, it works fine.
However, when we test it on a CD we encounter a problem. The search feature
locates the index and displays the appropriate files. However, when we try
to open the file from the search results, we get an error message stating
the file has either been moved or deleted or that we do not have the
appropriate permissions to open the file. When we copy the CD contents to a
hard drive, the index works again. We were able to track the problem to two
causes: (1) Acrobat Catalog appears to use short file names internally, so
all its internal paths and filenames were truncated (e.g., Adding~1.pdf),
and (2) the software we use to burn the CD doesn't support the short
filenames (and no, we have no control over the software wer're using).

If we can't correct this problem, we are faced with the prospect of renaming
all our Frame files to 8.3 format, resolving all the broken
cross-references, and regenerating all the PDF files.

The Questions
===========
1. Has anyone else run into this problem? How did you resolve it? Is
there any way to force Catalog to use long file names?

2. Does anyone know whether Catalog in Acrobat 4.0 handles long filenames
any better? If so, we may very well upgrade. (As a side issue, what are
the major obstacles/problems in upgrading to 4.0?)

I appreciate any solutions, help, tips you can offer.

Kent Newton
Senior Technical Writer
Catalyst International, Inc.
Tel: (414) 362-6836
Email: knewton -at- mke -dot- catalystwms -dot- com