RE: Two interfaces, one product

Subject: RE: Two interfaces, one product
From: "Humbird, LenX" <lenx -dot- humbird -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 12:21:50 -0700

I'd highly recommend that you voice a concern to the development team that
supporting two different interfaces doubles the work for maintenance and
support crews - including documentation. And that the best option is to drop
one of the interfaces for purely economic reasons.

On the other hand, there are several texts on cross-platform software tools
(e.g.., supporting Mac and Windows), but their strength lies in the
similarity between the interfaces of the two platforms. If you flip through
one of those docs, you'll see that there's a preface that explains the basic
differences (at the application level, in many cases they're slight) in the
screens and function keys.

In your case, Scott, you don't have that luxury. If development won't budge
in their decision, I'd say, scope it as a single-source dual-document,
joined at the hip. There will be similarities between the two (e.g.,
back-end stuff), so you'll want to write those sections just once. You can
do this in Frame, and it might be possible to also do it with Word (and the
help of a software tool that helps with versioning).