Fitting a Job Ad (was Re: Misguided Love)

Subject: Fitting a Job Ad (was Re: Misguided Love)
From: Christi <christi -at- sageinst -dot- COM>
To: <v2cdisrc -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 16:04:47 -0700

on 5/3/00 12:53 PM, v2cdisrc -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com wrote:

> Though I'm not looking for a job right now, I've always wondered how I
> would handle the following scenario:
>
> You see an job ad for a technical writer. As with all job ads, it has a
> list of requirements. You happen meet all the requirements but one:
>
> MUST have 3 YEARS EXPERIENCE with AdobeSoft WordMaker.
>
> You are an expert in the technology that company specializes in. But you
> don't 3 years experience with AdobeSoft WordMaker. And other than that, you
> feel you are more than capable to handle the job.
>
> Would you apply for the position or not?

I can't remember when I have ever applied for the job while being able to
say that I could absolutely meet all of the listed requirements. If I did
that, I certainly wouldn't be where I am now (which is a good place). I am a
very quick learner, especially with software, so I usually don't consider
that a big road block. The more difficult part is getting that point across
to the interviewer.

Christi Carew
Technical Writer

Sage Instruments
Freedom, CA, USA
www.sageinst.com

- Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them
all yourself.