FYI: Word Master/subdocuments

Subject: FYI: Word Master/subdocuments
From: Tina Cipolla <tinacipolla -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:52:41 -0700 (PDT)

FYI to all of you techwrlers reading this Word thread.
I was just recently forced to use the master document
feature in Word 2000. (I haven't attempted to use
master documents since version 6.0.) I am happy to
report that barring some minor bugs it worked. And I
was able to deliver a hard copy and a soft copy of the
file to the client without any significant problems.

READ ON ONLY IF YOU WANT THE DETAILS...

It was a ~100 page document, heavy on graphics and
cross references with both a TOC and and Index. It
was originally one document, but I kept having memory
errors and finally Word erased all of my graphics and
began crashing my system. In a panic my boss told me I
would have to break the document up because the
document was too large for word to handle. With
dread, I decided to attempt using the master document
feature. I decided to give it two days and if I
couldn't get it to work I would manually break the
document in half. Damned if the thing didn't work. I
had to reenter all of the grapics manually, and I lost
all of my procedural numbering (which I had to hard
code in) but the document now appears to be completely
stable.
Incedentally, I never had any major snafaus with
master documents in 6.0 either (other than some page
numbering annoyances). But after reading on this list
what happened with v.97 master documents, I didn't
dare touch it. But out of force I tried it in v.2000
and it appears to work.
Has anyone else tried the master documents feature as
of late??

Tina

http://im.yahoo.com/