RE: IT Department Coverage Question

Subject: RE: IT Department Coverage Question
From: "Michael Collier" <mcollier -at- arlut -dot- utexas -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 14:34:37 -0500

I would suggest going with the development teams, as you will be better
informed as to the progress of development projects, and can plan your
documentation of them accordingly. If you are a blanket tech writer for the
whole department, you are likely to get things thrown at you from all
directions, which may end up happening anyway, but by being part of the
development team, you establish your priorities, or your priorities are
established for you, depending on how you look at it.

This also gives you the opportunity to more readily participate in other
areas of interest, such as interface design, and planning for electronic
delivery of help and documentation.

Michael Collier, Technical Writer Office: AX207
Information Systems Laboratory http://isl.arlut.utexas.edu/
Applied Research Laboratories: The University of Texas at Austin
Voice: 512-835-3408 e-mail: mcollier -at- arlut -dot- utexas -dot- edu

---snip---