Re: System Requirements

Subject: Re: System Requirements
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 23:49:55 +0200

Not specifically in answer to this particular message:

I have had some good experience with Virtual PC. I am mainly a Mac shop,
but had occasionally to document Windows software. I was able to run that
software under Virtual PC, and could document it in parallel. Screenshots
were in particular pretty easy to process immediately in Photoshop.

This setup has the advantage that when the Windows software crashes, it
will "only" crash the Virtual PC, and not the whole system at all. That
means that the work itself is kind of secure.

Of course, it requires a lot of memory on the Mac.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering
Low Paper workflows, Smart documents, PDF forms
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
http://www.prodok.ch

[ Building Bridges for Information ]

______________________

Bryan Sherman wrote:

>Dual Monitors?: If you have a Mac or Win 98 you can support dual monitors.
We have Dell Latitudes that support dual monitors. We can display different
programs on our external monitors and out laptop displays. This has proven
invaluable while documenting programs (the issue of running program and
authoring software on same machine notwithstanding). ...

Hi,

I asked for a system with dual monitors on one machine, but it was too
expensive. But we found another way. I got a second computer, only the
application is running on, it is an older Pentium 130, but it is fast
enough. For the documentation I got a much faster machine.
I like it much to have the application separated from the DTP system. So I
can see and use the application the same way as the users, I have the full
picture and I do not have to switch between the applications.
(For screen shot transfer, I use the internal net.)