RE: Help! Framemaker vs. Quark

Subject: RE: Help! Framemaker vs. Quark
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>
To: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 14:10:02 +0200

Sean,

Yes, indeed, if you can transmit a PS printfile, your service bureau might
be able to do quite a few things. However, there are very few people who
have actually the knowledge and patience to noodle around in a PS file. So,
it is _your_ responsibility to make sure that the PS file is working.

OK, for a PDF, it is similar, but there are a few features which help to
make life easier. In any case ask the service bureau/printer to provide you
their Distiller Settings, and use them. It is possible to do last-second
edits in a PDF (under certain circumstances *) with PitStop by Enfocus
(http://www.enfocus.be).

*) the document must have the complete font sets embedded (no subsetting),
and must not be password protected in any way.

There are quite a few discussions going on concerning color printing and
PDF on the mailing lists. It is possible, but you have to talk to your
service bureau/printer about the specifics, and again about the Distiller
Settings.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering
Low Paper workflows, Smart documents, PDF forms
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
http://www.prodok.ch

[ Building Bridges for Information ]

______________________

Actually, a PS printfile does just as well to Docutech, and is a tad
simpler. You have to go via the PS printfile to get to PDF anyway, right? I
used to check my PS printfiles by PDFing them, especially MS Word output. I
love Docutechs for short print runs, even two-color runs. They offer decent
quality at excellent prices, versus offset.

Can the pre-press guys go into a PDF and massage the PostScript? I don't
encourage them to do this, but sometimes, on a unique job, it's a one-time
must-do.

For color seps, I never sent PDF. I am not sure that it'll work. Anyone?
Maybe I should stop by http://www.pdfzone.com to check . . . not that I do
that kind of work anymore.