RE: Employee experience dilemma....

Subject: RE: Employee experience dilemma....
From: "Scudder, Beth" <beth -dot- scudder -at- retek -dot- com>
To: "'Guy A. McDonald'" <guy -at- nstci -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 17:01:35 -0500

Guy McDonald [guy -at- nstci -dot- com] wrote:

A cursory review of this thread did not yield my first question.

__Can the company afford to invest in the new writer?__

I love how most respondents jumped on the "Yah, give her a chance
.. do
right by her and mentor her" bandwagon. Great stuff and a
commendable
attitude. However, there are situations where this is not practical.
Consulting agencies staffed with hired guns, start-up companies,
pre-IPOs in
trouble, etc. come to my mind as fair examples where overcoming
steep slopes
on a learning curve may not be practical.

Okay, Guy, I confess, I've lost your original post. If what you care about
at the moment is whether your new writer can get the job done - which is
what I understand by "can the company afford to invest" in her -- then we
need a scope and a timeline to answer that. How big is this "whole manual",
and how long does she (or does the company) have to do it?

If you have a timeline that an experienced writer could do with a little
room to spare, then I think, if your writer is as smart as you think she is,
that yes, your company /can/ afford to invest in her. Especially since your
company has /already/ made the initial investment of hiring her, and
presumably giving her some basic training, it's best, if it's feasible, to
keep her.

If you have a timeline that an experienced writer could not do alone, or
would be crunching down to the last minute to finish, then no, it's likely
that your newbie writer will not be able to do it. You will need to hire an
experienced contractor or some such, likely at a much more expensive rate
than your newbie writer, who will put in the hours and experience to finish
it.

Beth Scudder