Re: Help! Framemaker vs. Quark

Subject: Re: Help! Framemaker vs. Quark
From: "Christopher" <addforlist -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 14:59:19 +0200

The printers we use (we're about to use them for a second time, and printing
is not their speciality (they're really a logistics organisation) and we're
in France but our s/w is worldwide) wanted the Xpress files at first...

On my telling them we used FrameMaker, they wanted postscript. On my telling
them that the last time (i.e. first time we used them - before I joined the
company) they said PDF was fine and actually even *wanted* PDF, they said no
problem (through gritted teeth)...

I should qualify that though - our print runs are *small* (first print run
of less than 2 thousand) and as such they use an offset printing method
without passing via films... However, we are asking them for a 'traditional
offset' printing quote...

IMVHO (and I'm a newbie :), any printer should accept postscript, and any
'with it' printer is ready or getting ready for accept PDF. Perhaps I've
over-dosed on Adobe propaganda, but PDF is great for sending to the printers
(isn't it?)...

HTH

p.s. the first version of our manual was produced with Word, that may be why
they wanted PDF in the first place...
p.p.s. this is FYI, I don't want to start another Word v. Frame thread
(honestly I don't!), but my company had more or less decided to move from
Word to Frame for our manual because Word had a tendency to move images
about, or just plain 'lose' them (no joke).
p.p.p.s. Please don't start another Frame v. Word thread, I don't want Eric
getting mad at me!