RE: vector-based drawing tool that runs on Linux/UNIX

Subject: RE: vector-based drawing tool that runs on Linux/UNIX
From: "Higgins, Lisa" <LHiggins -at- carrieraccess -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 13:08:35 -0600

Humbird, LenX:
> Whenever I see a request like this, it makes me wonder.
>
> You have a job to do. If it's drawing, then you need the right drawing
tool
> for the job. Don't complicate it by limiting to a specific OS or hardware
> platform, or worse yet, limited to those that are "in vogue."
> Pick the tool.

Aw, come on.

No, seriously?

You are seriously telling the original poster that hardware and operating
system should have no part in her software decision? For reals? That
limiting her software choices to something that'll run on the operating
system and hardware she presumably already has running is complicating it?

I mean, I guess that would be nice and all, but if she chooses Mac software,
I believe she would have to purchase an entirely new system; and if she
chooses Windows software, she can either purchase an entirely new system, or
she could back up all of her software and data, reformat her drive,
re-partition it, install Windows, then re-install her original Linux/Unix
system, THEN install this holy grail of software on her Windows partition.
(No, she can't just interactively partition her drive and then install
Windows--Windows commandeers the boot partition and makes the other OSes
inaccessible without a boot disk. So just before some wise guy decides to
pick nits.)

And what if it turns out that the very best-est software out there only runs
on a VAX or something?

I guess I just can't imagine there being a variance in software tools that's
extreme enough to warrant that sort of investment.

Lisa.