RE: vector-based drawing tool that runs on Linux/UNIX

Subject: RE: vector-based drawing tool that runs on Linux/UNIX
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 15:21:29 -0400

On 5/15/00 3:08 PM, Higgins, Lisa (LHiggins -at- carrieraccess -dot- com) wrote:

> I mean, I guess that would be nice and all, but if she chooses Mac software,
> I believe she would have to purchase an entirely new system;
<snip>
> So just before some wise guy decides to pick nits.)

I agree with you completely... if you're spending your day on a
particular OS, it's silly not to take that OS into account when you go to
choose your additional tools.

That said, I'll pick one small nit for you, just to sacrifice something
to the small-but-greedy God of Useful Information:

The original poster *could* be running any of the numerous Linux
distributions for the PowerPC platform, in which case an additional
option opens up. With most PowerPC-based Linuxes, you can run
Mac-on-Linux (MOL), which re-creates the Mac environment from within the
Linux X session. It uses the original processor, so the emulation is
about as fast as the original Mac on which the whole mess is running.
This configuration opens up a whole world of graphical tools that might
otherwise require rebooting in the Mac environment, or using a different
computer altogether.

For details, see:

<http://www.linuxppc.org/distributions/>
<http://www.maconlinux.org/>

Hope someone finds this useful,
----->Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman