Conditional text a whole book file??

Subject: Conditional text a whole book file??
From: Joel Basart <joel_basart -at- inetco -dot- com>
To: "Technical writing list (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:54:40 -0700

Hi everyone, I was wondering if something could be done in FrameMaker, and
am hoping someone would have an idea. I am having to separate a section from
a book (a book with a 'master' and a 'slave' section) we want to make a
manual without the slave section, but also keep the slave section in case
it is needed later (don't ask me, not my decision!)

So I've been asked if it is possible to conditionally text a whole book
file, rather than just specific text in it - I said no, that is not
possible, but I thought I would ask around, just in case. I thought I would
probably have to make two versions of the manual, one with the file and one
without, but of course that makes it interesting to update in the future -
twice as much work!

Any suggestions on this matter? It is not a huge manual, only about 100
pages, so it would not be impossible to make two versions, just time
consuming.

Joel Basart
Technical Writer
INETCO Systems Ltd