Re: Help for Web-based applications - ideas?

Subject: Re: Help for Web-based applications - ideas?
From: "Lois Patterson" <lois -at- dowco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:18:54 -0700

RE: Help for Web-based applications - ideas?It's quite possible to create
context-sensitive Webhelp at the screen level in a conventional application.
You need the cooperation of the developers, of course, but basically you
want the Help button on a particular application screen (or Help as accessed
from the Help menu) to open a particular web page. If you wanted help for a
particular control on a screen to link to a Webhelp page, that could be done
also, but not so smoothly as for WinHelp.

With a Web-based application, you can have a Help icon on each Web page that
links to the appropriate WebHelp page. It would be possible to do this at a
field level, but it would be quite cumbersome, and I can't think of an
elegant way to do it in a Web-based application.

I snipped the solution Jim Hager is using for Web-based applications. It
does sound good, but it is Windows-based.

Lois Patterson