Re: Solution to master/slave (humor, I hope)

Subject: Re: Solution to master/slave (humor, I hope)
From: Roger Bell <RBell -at- OptioSoftware -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:29:48 -0400

On the down side in this paradigm, Chris, most post-graduate students then
will be working on Engineering Degrees. ;-)

Roger

Subject: Solution to master/slave (humor, I hope)
From: Chris Hamilton <cah_91 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
<snip>
I propose
that we use engineer/tech writer. Its merits are
obvious. Everyone knows how engineers treat us, and
that's the perfect metaphor for the technological
reality that master and slave represents. The slave is
just told what to do by the master and must do it,
with no regard to the slave's creativity and need to
express itself. And, as we all well know, the entire
world understands how we are downtrodden by oppressive
engineers.

There will be some problems at first. People will have
to start ordering "Engineering FrameMaker" to
understand the only DTP product Dan Emory has ever
used.

Also, they'll have to play The Engineers golf
tournament in Augusta, Georgia each April. And someone
will have to posthumously change the guy's name so
it's now "Engineers and Johnson." And, of course,
people will start touting the engineer's bedroom in
their houses.

On the other end of the scale, we'll have "love
technical writers" in the Internet's red light
districts and people will have to start being
"technical writers to their work." But these are minor
hiccups on the road to a more just society.
<snip>