Re: techwr-l digest: May 15, 2000

Subject: Re: techwr-l digest: May 15, 2000
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:09:55 -0500

Glen Warner wrote (this is snipped):

> Finally, in a bout of "political correctness" in my high school years, I
> proposed, in an article published in my high school newspaper, the following
> (reproduced as nearly as I can recall -- it's been a few years):
>
> "Somebody really ought to come up with a word that combines She, He, and It
> just to remove any ambiguity."
>
> It was quite an ego-boost to hear people snickering about that in the halls
> ... but my editor didn't share my joy, for some reason.
>
> Imagine!

I was at a meeting once where the speaker spoke on the problem on gender neutral
language and the he/she/it problem and proposed solutions, most of which are
impossible to pronounce. His favorite in the stupidity department was
"she/he/it." He added, "Now, I'm from West Texas and I can pronounce that!"

Needless to say, his audience (all TW types) roared.

Jo Byrd