Comma preferences

Subject: Comma preferences
From: "Sierra Godfrey" <kittenbreath -at- hotbot -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 15:34:58 -0700

Hi,

I recall my instructor in my technical editing class saying that sometimes commas were a matter of personal preference. I've always been of the opinion that if you say a sentence outloud and your tone implies a comma, then the written version should have a comma.

Example:
There is no need to separate the source from this mounting plate, as the assembly will be replaced as a whole.

Is the comma necessary? One engineer here feels it is not, but I like it there because it sounds better.
Do any of you have any handy rules for this? I'd like some justification if possible.

Thanks.

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com