RE: Comma preferences

Subject: RE: Comma preferences
From: "Rock, Megan" <Megan -dot- Rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com>
To: "'Sierra Godfrey'" <kittenbreath -at- hotbot -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 09:55:37 -0400

Sierra,

My Technical Editing book (by Carolyn D. Rude, copyright 1991) says on page
133 that "if the dependent clause is made dependent by a subordinating
conjunction, a comma is appropriate between clauses." But it goes on the
clarify that statement: "A comma should be used if the dependent clause
comes first in the sentence. A comma is not necessary if the dependent
clause follows the independent clause."

So, to answer your question, no, you should not include the comma. "As" is
a subordinating conjuction that introduces a dependent clause at the end of
an independent clause in the sentence you gave. The book also says that
even though we have a tendency to want to insert commas where we pause or
"breathe" while reading a sentence, "punctuation is logical--not
biological!" :)

Hope that helps.
Megan

Megan E. Rock
Technical Writer, Product Information
FANUC Robotics North America, Inc.
Voice: 1-248-377-7948
Fax: 1-248-377-7363
E-mail: megan -dot- rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com
Web: http://www.fanucrobotics.com