terminology question: pointer vs. cursor

Subject: terminology question: pointer vs. cursor
From: Justin Kelley <justin -dot- kelley -at- revit -dot- com>
To: "Writing List (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:13:14 -0400

Hello,

Is there a distinction between using the term pointer to refer to the
arrow-shaped pointing device in most Windows-based programs and cursor to
refer to the I-shaped pointing device used for inserting text? I had heard
once that cursor was actually an outdated term. Yet I still see it used
frequently to refer to the arrow.

I use the term pointer in my documentation. My boss questioned it and others
in my company use cursor.

Any opinions/hard and fast rules on the terminology?

Thank you.

Justin

Justin Kelley
Sr. Tech Writer