Re: Adobe: The Sound of Silence

Subject: Re: Adobe: The Sound of Silence
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>
To: MeBollox <mebollox -at- mail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 23:49:47 +0200

MeBollox (or whoever you are)

One thing you always should keep in mind, is that there is no "official"
Adobe representation on the lists. When you get these tips, it is
essentially employees of Adobe answering messages as private persons (with
the possible exception of Dov Isaac's announcements about printer drivers).

This said, I wonder which company allows their employees to discuss
business policies in public ... How would your employer react if you did
that??

This does not mean that I don't miss plugs for Frame, in particular. It
seems to me that Frame is one of the least marketed top product around. It
is a product which can do way more than officially marketed. But it may
need some specific ways of thinking to see _how_ useful it actually can be,
and I have some serious doubts if the "average" marketing person has that
way of thinking.

On the other hand, with the flexibility of InDesign, it would be possible
(eventually) to get all of Frame's functionality into InDesign with
appropriate plug-ins. Now, if that happened, would you insist on Frame?

Just another Zweiräppler

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering
Low Paper workflows, Smart documents, PDF forms
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
http://www.prodok.ch

[ Building Bridges for Information ]

______________________

Have you noticed that the Adobe people on these lists always chime in with
quick tips and great answers for things that relate to, oh say a TOC or a
Side Head, but when it comes to answering questions about Adobe's attitude
towards Frame, the emails for deafly silent.

I cannot tell you how many times a day I have to argue for Frame. And our
Bloody Engineers bitterly argue for that Microsoft product, because the
whole world uses it. I will say one thing for Microsoft, they do promote ALL
their products, including Word. Seems to me that Frame, like a Tech Pubs
department is nothing more than a stepchild, an afterthought, a pain to deal
with.

Perhaps the real issue is that Adobe has a captive audience when it comes to
Frame. If anyone out there wants to get together and start building a
serious competitor to Frame, please let me know.