RE: training feedback

Subject: RE: training feedback
From: "Guru Kamath" <guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 12:21:46 +0530

Hello Susan,

I have conducted several seminars and training programs in India. I thought
I will share my simple feedback form.

I have a simple table with columns for Excellent, Good, Average, and
Remarks. I ask students to rate for Lectures, Handouts, Food, Overall
arrangements. It is surprising how much feedback one gets. Specially, I
have the Remarks column full of comments and suggestions. (Give more
handouts! Give better handouts!)

I have a few more questions like:

Please tell us three things which you liked about the seminar.

Please tell us three things that you did not like about the seminar.

Any additonal remarks, comments or suggestions.

These again are full of responses. (Remember, participants are wannabe
technical writers!)

BTW, while other's opinion and feedback are useful -- I feel we are capable
of analyzing our contribution ourselves.

Of course, participants do come forward and say that the lecture was good,
etc. But my best compliment has been the participant or student who wrote
back: "I have become a technical writer today!" or "I got my first job as a
technical writer." I think this is the real test of your training.

Guru
guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in

Susan Pearson asked:

I conducted a training session last week for one of my company's
partners, and I wanted to send him a feedback form so that I can get an
idea of where I need improvement. I'm not really sure what to ask him,
as I am new to this whole 'training' thing (apparently, 'technical
writer' means 'I'll do anything that nobody else wants to do').