RE: Converting from Word 97 to PDF

Subject: RE: Converting from Word 97 to PDF
From: "Geoff Lane" <geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "'Curtis Brautigam'" <curtisb -at- nurserysupplies -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:21:02 +0100

Curtis Brautigam wrote:

> I have one of those plug-ins (PDF Writer) to Word 97 that
> allows you to
> convert to PDF. It seems to work fine if I want to convert
> small documents.
> Here I have this long document (about 55 pages) that I want
> to convert to
> PDF. After about 6 or 7 pages, I get an error message that
> there is no more
> memory left. After that, the PDF Writer goes through the
> motions of printing
> the rest of the document. When I try to open the PDF file in
> Acrobat, I get
> a message that the program is trying to repair the file. Then
> it gives me an
> error message that the attempt to repair failed and does not
> open the file.
> What should I do in order to convert this large Word file to
> PDF? Or it one
> of those millions of bugs in the Word 97 application that
> doesn't allow PDF
> Writer to convert large files to PDF?
---

There is an issue with the PDF Writer shipped with Acrobat 3.x that may be
the cause of your problem.

PDF Writer is a Word macro that uses an array to store bookmark information.
As shipped, I think that it supports only about 50 bookmarks (enough for a
short document).

Some time ago, I found instructions on how to increase the number of
bookmarks. As I recall, this involves increasing the upper bound of the
array used for bookmark information. I tried the suggested amendments -- it
slowed PDF Writer to a crawl and I still didn't get all the bookmarks I
needed. I ended up inserting the bookmarks by hand (into a 350-page
document).

Unfortunately, I've misplaced the instructions and I don't have a URL to
hand. From dialog on the Adobe user-to-user forums, I suspect that this
issue is fixed in Acrobat 4.

FWIW, this issue was one of the reasons I switched to Framemaker.

HTH,

Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk