RoboHTML JavaHelp formatting fubars

Subject: RoboHTML JavaHelp formatting fubars
From: "Justin Cascio" <justin-paul -dot- geo -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 18:41:10 -0400

Howdy, 'whirlers,

I'm wrasslin' JavaHelp out of RoboHELP 2000 HTML Edition, and attempting to
clean up the formatting problems in HomeSite. If you've done this before,
you know some of the problems: JavaHelp chokes on SPAN tags, puts ridiculous
amounts of space between list items, paragraphs, and tables because of the
extra P tags RH inserts, and only follows stylesheets if the names are all
lowercase, and only if it's a Tuesday.

HomeSite has some pretty nifty features, like a Search and Replace on
steroids, and something they call a Codesweeper, that I'll be using to help
in the process.

I really need to streamline the process I use for cleanup, because it'll
have to be done every time the Help changes, and also for the in-house
translation. I've searched the archives at TECHWR-L and java.sun.com for
known formatting issues in JavaHelp, and it's like picking salt out of rice
to find them all. If any of you know of any specific formatting issues and
how to resolve them that apply to this situation, or a technique to use in
HomeSite, please drop me a note offlist. I'll post a summary in a few days.
Thanks in advance, y'all.

Justin

Justin Cascio
Pro-Logic & Adjustable Choke
Outsource Documentation and Online Help
Phone: (727) 217-9496
Fax: (801) 217-1117
justin -at- plandac -dot- com <mailto:justin -at- plandac -dot- com>
http://www.plandac.com