Creating Icons on Windows NT

Subject: Creating Icons on Windows NT
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- uswest -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM. COM" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 17:23:41 -0700

(I apologize if this is a duplicate for anyone. I posted it--I thought--a
few days ago but never saw it on the list)

Hello All. I have been asked to put on my graphic designer hat today and I
have run into something I can't figure out. Hoping you all can help.

I am trying to create an icon (.ico) for our software application. I have
been trying several different tools (IconForge, IconEasel98, Icon Collector
Graphics Editor), running on Windows 98.

I can successfully create the icon and it runs fine on Windows 98, but when
the developers try it on their Windows NT stations, they see a grainy,
off-color version of the icon. They are running with millions of colors at
high resolution.

I don't know enough to know what else to look at. All these icon tools say
they are 32-bit, compatible with NT, but I'm guessing that means they will
RUN on NT, not that they can create icons for NT.

Please help! I'm in over my head (hat floating down the river as we speak).

Thanks,
Lisa Wright
PeakEffects