RE: hyphen or en-dash?

Subject: RE: hyphen or en-dash?
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- uswest -dot- net>
To: "Danielle DeVoss" <dndevoss -at- mtu -dot- edu>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 11:11:40 -0700

Danielle,
There is an excellent book that covers the use of em- vs. en-dash vs.
hyphen. The book is called "The PC is not a Typewriter" (possibly "Your
PC..."). My book is packed with many others several miles away so I can't
look up the specific rules for you. I also think I've seen that information
in grammar books but I can't be sure. BUT, your typesetter may have been
correct to change the hyphens. I know en-dashes are recommended for use in
expressing mathematical ranges, for example 10[en-dash]20 typographical
mistakes per page.

Almost every style guide I've seen has said that neither em- nor en-dashes
should surrounded by spaces, but I've seen it both ways.

I can't wait to read the Saffire article. I've noticed my own writing hashed
with lots of em-dashes, especially e-mails.

Lisa Wright