Re: Take this engineer and shove it

Subject: Re: Take this engineer and shove it
From: "Barb Einarsen" <barb -dot- einarsen -at- gnnettest -dot- com>
To: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 12:24:08 -0400

snip...> I work with some really wonderful developers who produce really
fine work.
> My primary gripe is that I'm at least as good at what I do as they are at
> what they do. I have yet to miss a deadline (in seven years), and the
> clients respond extremely well to my help systems, manuals and training
> materials. Most developers on my team come to me when they're not sure how
> the UI should look or when they're having trouble figuring out a product
> spec. So while the developers respect my work, management types simply
don't
> value tech Comm as much as development. The attitude gets passed to some
of
> the more ambitious developers, and the cycle starts over again. I don't
get
> the paycheck they do, but even more important, I don't get the recognition
> by management-and that is seriously sucky. ... end snip>

I can relate today. Our company decided to hand out stock options to 'key
personnel' only, then they laid off the other techncial writer after 4 years
of service (I've been here a year). I'm the only writer for my 3 product
lines and have been praised and held in the highest esteem- yet I did not
rate stock options. I guess my reward is not being walked to the door. More
than a little depressing.