Re: terminology question: pointer vs. cursor

Subject: Re: terminology question: pointer vs. cursor
From: "Barb Einarsen" <barb -dot- einarsen -at- gnnettest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:07:38 -0400

..> Many windows-based software applications provide at least two ways of
doing
> things, one by keyboarding, one by point-and-click. To be thorough,
> accurate, and address the needs of users who prefer one method over the
> other, the Technical Communicator should be documenting mouse and keyboard
> procedures, if both exist....

Now I didn't say I don't document the procedures, I said I do not refer to
the DOS insertion point and the Mouse Pointer/Cursor. If you write
'actively' you will soon discover that you do not use such terminology. You
wouldn't tell a typist how to press a key or a shorthand secretary how to
use a pen - would you?

..> Another example: If you are documenting an application for users who
are not
> Windows literate, you may also need to be very specific about when to use
> the mouse, and when to use the keyboard. ...

When writing for users who are new to Windows, you should refer them to
Windows help or other O/S documentation. The operating system writers are
better equiped to instruct the user on their platform. After all, do your
developers re-create the Print dialog, or do they use the one supplied by
the O/S?