Re: career in TW for MFA?

Subject: Re: career in TW for MFA?
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:42:07 -0700 (PDT)

"Pam Hurley" wrote ...

> A former student of mine has suddenly realized that her MFA has been a waste
> of time (i.e., she can't find a job), and she's interested in the TW field.
> She took two writing classes while in college, Business Writing and TW, has
> few computer skills, and has no idea what aspect of TW she's interested in.
> I suggested that she go back to school, either to get additional computer
> knowledge or a Master's in TW, but she insists she's through with
> school.

This is exactly why I learned about databases and programming while I was on my
way to an MFA. There just isn't a big market for FOC screenwriters unless daddy
is a producer.

Was I in her position, I would get a lowly job as a customer service rep or a
admin at a small company where I could get some exposure to technology. More
schooling WILL NOT help her get a job. Must have experience.

Otherwise, she can enjoy the wonderful world of poverty and rejection as an
unpublished author/artist.

Andrew Plato

--Insert pretentious quote here--: http://members.home.com/aplato

http://im.yahoo.com/