RE: Help Them Marketing People

Subject: RE: Help Them Marketing People
From: "Kieffer, Barry" <Barry_Kieffer -at- adc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:50:23 -0700

As technical writers we are responsible for the technical accuracy of our
writing. I routinely hand over electronic copies to my marketing
counterparts who use it to generate their marketing pieces.

I (personally) do not want the marketing people to do their own research
because it is what I have to do already as part of my job. When I release an
electronic copy to the marketers, I am fairly sure that the information is
technically sound, and the specifications are up to date.

I urge, nay, beg the marketing people to copy and paste so that they do not
inadvertently introduce typos into the specifications (you know, change uA
to milliamps because they do not have a technical background).

Barry says: Supply that marketing person with what they need, this is not a
turf war, we are partners. P.S. I report directly to marketing so maybe I am
jaded <grin>.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Barry Kieffer