RE: Not Technical Enough

Subject: RE: Not Technical Enough
From: "Kieffer, Barry" <Barry_Kieffer -at- adc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 08:58:08 -0700

And allow me to throw another log on the fire. I used to work for a large
electronic measurement company in Portland where they employed more than 40
technical writers.

I can not tell you the background of each, but one technical writer comes to
mind. Before she was a technical writer, she used to put set screws into
knobs. She is now a good technical writer, better then many of the
high-priced contractors that that company had hired from time to time. I do
not even think she had anything more than an Oregon high school certificate.

Where is this going? I have never seen any proof that your background has
any fig-diggaly thing to do with your success as a technical writer.

I have run in to many nose-in-the-air ex-engineers turned technical writers
that were no better then the nose-in-the-air Rhetoric PhD's turned technical
writers; and none of them were any better than the ex-knob assembler turned
technical writer (and she never had her nose-in-the-air).

My buck-three-eighty (adjusted for Friday)

Barry Kieffer