Re: Orlando Conference and Exhibits (rambl

Subject: Re: Orlando Conference and Exhibits (rambl
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 15:42:01 -0700 (PDT)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com (Jo Francis Byrd) writes:

>Inevitably, one session period would have me wishing I could clone myself and
>the next I'd be scanning the offerings wondering which one I would mind the
>least, wishing the one I hadn't gone to the previous time was given at this
>time. No way to avoid that, I suppose, not with the best planning in the world.

Actually, there is. I've been going to the STC conference
for several years now, and every year I beg them to take the
extra step with the stem managers of reviewing the program
as a whole with room assignments before issuing a final
schedule. This year, I had a chance to bend the ear of
next year's Writing and Editing stem manager and I hope
she will take the message back during planning for next
year's conference.

I work for a volunteer organization that does an annual
conference that attracts between 5000 - 8000 people.
When you have separate stem managers throwing a set
of programs into a pile, you spend a lot of energy
organizing that pile into a schedule that will work at
all, with appropriate room sizes and time assignments.
But the last step, of evaluating the program as a whole,
is essential and one that evidently STC planners do not
usually have the time or energy to take.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html