RE: Word gripe (Float over text)

Subject: RE: Word gripe (Float over text)
From: "Guru Kamath" <guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 23:28:31 +0530

Hello,

I have suggested and recommended SR-1 patch and both the original poster (Jo
Francis byrd) and Jean Weber have the SR-2 patch. I am not sure whether SR-2
has any relevance to the problem at hand. I trust both have installed the
SR-1 patch and then the SR-2. (SR-2 fixes problems different from those in
SR-1!)

In my experience, I have not had the float over text problem with Word 97
and the SR-1 patch. With Word 97 and SR-2 I did have problems! If memory
serves me right, the SR-1 patch for Word 97 (ie. the earlier version of
Office, and not Office 2000) does solve the bug according to a knowledgebase
article. The infamous red cross problem is due to this float over text
functionality.

Currently, I have upgraded to Word 2000 and the float over text problem has
been fixed in this version. Office 2000 also has an SR-1 patch (and also an
SR-1a patch!) -- which I believe solves yet another set of problems (not
just in Word 2000). I cannot afford the exorbitant price for this patch
(equivalent of US$20-$40 in Indian Rupees) and have not installed it. Of
course all the patches are available free on the net (SR-1 for Office 4.x is
quite small, but for Office 2000 it varies from 23 MB to 40 MB. and I do not
have the confidence to download it!) in the Microsoft download area.

Coming to think of it -- how come we don't get to hear what Microsoft
Support has to say on such simple problems. Has no one tried Microsoft
Support? I am on the Framers List where people from Adobe answer questions!
Why can't people from Microsoft answer questions? (One more observation
about that list. On that list, everyone specified the version numbers,
service release patch, operating systems, et al so well that one is clear
which solution works well with which version.)

Best wishes.

Guru
guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in