RE: Telecommuting

Subject: RE: Telecommuting
From: "Guru Kamath" <guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 12:42:30 +0530

Hello Scottie,

How to get Telecommuting Projects?

I was lucky to find a really, good, huge telecommuting project thanks to my
participation on one of the technical writing lists. I got yet another
project thanks to the TWIN list. One of the US companies wanted someone in
India to do their technical writing as their development work is being
carried here. I have been doing this for two years. Here is my advice based
on my experience.

a) You don't get them. They get you.
b) Participate in technical writing lists.
c) Have your own site. This is your billboard to the world.
d) Tap your network of friends, associates and former colleagues.
e) Check out technical writing, telecommuting, writing and other sites and
message boards.
f) Search on the Internet. Check out job sites and banks.
g) Advertise your services. (Newspapers, mailing lists, sites, etc.)
h) Contact companies and offer them your services.
i) Team up with other telecommuters.
j) Contact recruiters and recruiting companies.
k) Go to exhibitions and tradeshows (computers, internet, etc).
l) Attend technical writing and other conferences.
m) Build your track record in telecommuting.

Best wishes.

Guru
guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in