Re: documentation plan?

Subject: Re: documentation plan?
From: skwpt <skwpt -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- oee -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 09:02:25 -0700 (PDT)

> --- "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- oee -dot- com> wrote:
> ...."documentation plan". Can someone explain
> to me what this is...

Jessica:

Others may have a different response, but I have
always considered a document plan to be nearly
identical to a document specification. A doc plan may
include:

Document Title: This can be the name of the document
or the file.

Revision History: Record differences from the
documentation of previous versions of the document if
any).

Writer: You. (Also list editor if you have one.)

Resources: Personnel, equipment, reference material.

User/Audience: List the primary target audience for
the documentation.

Document Objective: List the primary objectives of
the documentation (set/suite).

User Objectives: List any (measurable) tasks the user
will perform after reading the documentation.
Objectives are *crucial* to writing a solid, usable
document!

Document Overview: List fully the document
deliverables and the format in which they will be
delivered.

Document Description: Briefly describe the document
with estimated page count.

Contents: List the contents of the document via a
table of contents or a summary.

Schedule: List all milestones from the schedule that
affect documentation. These might include draft
delivery dates, technical review dates, and the final
document delivery date to production.

Technical Review: List of technical reviewers and the
projected review schedule.

Test Plan: List validity testing, usability testing,
and, if relevant, media testing plans and dates.

Edit Plan: Document editing schedule and publication
priorities.

Localization Plan: Discuss languages into which the
document will be translated, required resources, and
schedule.

Document Design: State the format of the document
components, including book size, on-line media, etc.

Problems: List any anticipated problems, such as
resources, that may delay the deliverable.

HTH
Kelly

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com