Subject: Summary: electronic revision database systems
From: "Scudder, Beth" <beth -dot- scudder -at- retek -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 09:13:13 -0500

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query about a database for revisions
to documentation.

The overwhelming response from the list was that any database will do, and
you should probably use the one that your developers are using. "It never
hurts to be part of the larger team", as Barb Einarsen put it.

Software mentioned: Track (Bug Track Software), DevTrack (which was
mentioned as being a lousy tool), and either Frame or a Word plug-in.

I did get one other response from another list I'm on, and I thought you
might be interested in it. This is a blurb from the company, not a review
from someone who's used it, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Domino.doc
This is a document management tool that allows for checkin/out,
serial/parallel review cycles, etc of various documents (procedures, HR
docs, etc). Domino.doc is already the best selling document management
software in the world and sells for substantially less than other systems.
It also integrates into our Domino messaging and collaborative
infrastructure and can be accessed from either a Notes client or web browser
(it is actually "tuned" more for a web browser). The following link will
bring you to Lotus' Domino.doc web site:
http://www.lotus.com/home.nsf/tabs/domdoc
<http://www.lotus.com/home.nsf/tabs/domdoc> .

Beth Scudder
Technical Editor/Writer