Re: Client from Hell: Seeing the Reality

Subject: Re: Client from Hell: Seeing the Reality
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 10:24:53 -0500

> Someone told the story of giving themselves and account on a computer
> system to bypass a stifling bureaucracy. Another TECHWR-Ler responded to
> this quite strongly that it was wrong. I think we have to look at these
> kinds of things on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes the management is
> secretly happy when someone bypasses the stifling rules with the goal of
> getting a job done, and when no real damage is done.

That's true. But how do you know, before you do something, whether it's going
to be one of those situations? If you are my contractor, I am responsible for
your actions, and when you invite yourself into places where you're not
supposed to go and do things you're not supposed to do, I'm the one who's going
to suffer. I do not trust you to know whether or not management would be
"secretly happy." I'd prefer to make my own decision on whether to take that
risk and I won't work again with someone who decides to make that decision for
me. The free flow of information is a good thing. Putting someone else's butt
on the line is not.

Tracy
Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc