LONG for Contractors About Agency

Subject: LONG for Contractors About Agency
From: Robert Kennedy <deutschtoenglish -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 13:53:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Whirlers,

I am fairly new to this group and new to the field
of technical writing.

Though my background is in technical translation
(German-English), I landed a well-paying contract
position with an established and reputable firm
on the East coast. It combines telecommuting with
interesting work, good team members, at a very
good wage.

The problem: I'm not getting paid on time. The one-
person agency I'm working for is very good friends
with the manager of the dept. I'm working in (who
manages the developer I work with who is very
happy with my work).

The recruiter told me he could give me an advance
and pay me the first two weeks after two weeks, then
days later he reneged on this (saying he'd pay me for
the first 2 days and pay me 2 weeks in arrears as most
companies do). He said I'd see this pay Tuesday (June
6). He promised me it will come by tomorrow (Friday)
or he'd "wire the money to me." (My start date was
May 18.)

The developer says the recruiter's placed a few people
already in the company, but that he'd "go up the chain
of command" for me if he became more negligent.

Also: I originally spoke with the developer because I
waited a week for the contract that he continually
promised to send me. Finally I sent him one I drew up
(wage and 2-week pay schedule) and he faxed it
back to me. We agreed I'd work W-2, but when I
e-mailed him about getting a W-4 form for me, he wrote
"give me a call."
(I didn't because I had a deadline at the time.)

QUESTION: Am I overreacting with this guy (should I
give him more time) or might I suggest contracting
with another company (people I know and trust) for the
same client? I have the feeling that the guy is
either disorganized or has no cash flow. I need
to get paid on time and told the recruiter this from
the beginning.
ANY ADVICE?

FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME DIRECTLY!

Bobby K.