LONG for Contractors About Agency (Chapter 2)

Subject: LONG for Contractors About Agency (Chapter 2)
From: "ROBERT B KENNEDY" <BOBBYKENNEDY -at- prodigy -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:41:03 -0400

Hello Whirlers,

Last week I shared my story about not
being paid by a "suspicious" agency.
(Thanks for the kind answers!)

Turns out my suspicions were correct.
This guy is a long-time recruiter who decided to
go out on his own. Looks like he got over his head
and has no cash flow. His genuine job title falls
somewhere between "Operator" and "Con Man."
(He lied to me repeatedly last week about payment
being sent out -- the last being that he "wired" it to me.)
To date I'm in the hole 6k. No chump change for someone
with 2 dependents.

My attorney says I should withhold the final
product (due soon) from the client until he pays up.
Anybody have any other (legal) ideas to get this guy to pay up?

P.S.: This recruiter's a "buddy" of the manager that hired me (at
a medium-large software company). The manager's also a suspect
character, who's been on the job but 5 months. But I've done good
work (both the developer-manager [ a great guy] and the 5-month
manager have praised my work). The developer-manager has been
with the firm a few years and has more clout than his new manager.

(I'd rather not tell the developer at this point that I won't deliver until
get paid... worst case scenario: the 5-month manager cans me and
has someone else complete the work I've submitted till now.)

TIA!!!!!

Bobby Kennedy
Tech Writer

609-406-3597 (Voice Mail)