Re: [stclwrsig-l] Upgrading to Frame 6

Subject: Re: [stclwrsig-l] Upgrading to Frame 6
From: John Wilcox <jwilcox -at- tcsi -dot- com>
To: STC Lone Writer SIG <stclwrsig-l -at- stc -dot- org>, "TECHWR-L digest (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 09:44:57 -0700

Curtis Brautigam wrote:

> Now that Frame 6 has been released and is shipping out, some of you have
> most likely purchased the software or upgraded from 5.5.6 to 6. Before I
> request my company to purchase the upgrade from 5.5.6 to 6, I would like to
> know whether it is really worth it to upgrade from 5.5.6 to 6. Is Frame 6
> superior to Frame 5.5.6? Is there a significant difference in performance
> between 5.5.6 and 6? Is Frame 6 buggy--a lot of new releases of software
> tend to be buggy (or is that just a Microsoft phenomenon)? I don't want to
> upgrade just for the sake of upgrading? I would like to have some feedback
> from those of you who are now using Frame 6. I have seen the Front Runner
> and Adobe sites about Frame 6, but now that people are actually using the
> software, I would like to know what it is like. If I get the notion that
> there is not much difference between Frame 5.5.6 and 6, I will stick with
> our tried-and-true 5.5.6.

I've got it and think it is worth the price of the upgrade. HOWEVER, I am still
miffed (as it were) as there is STILL no Repeat Edit function. That alone would
be worth the price of an upgrade, as it would save me a lot of time.

The major enhancements are 1) much better book-building and cross-book functions
and 2) the inclusion of WWP Std. Ed. (But I was going to buy the full-blown WWP
anyway, and still need to, so that wasn't worth much to me.) Enhanced support
for PDF will also prove useful.

There's a PDF document available from Adobe's FrameMaker page that tells about
all the enhancements. Unfortunately, it's not just a list but four pages of
marketingese, but you should be able to pick out the enhancements.

--
Regards,

John Wilcox - Senior Technical Writer, TCSI, Bothell, Washington
Intaxication: Euphoria at getting a refund from the IRS, which
lasts until you realize it was your money to start with.